Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 3
Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:51 am
Throughout the year I have noticed that some super smurfs had more than one style of box and thought I would start paying attention to this. After a while I realised that there are actually many different types although not all were released with every different style of box.

In this report I hope to include all of the different styles with photos and if you know of any others and you can provide some pics then please let me know by posting here.

Cheers

Dyar

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:01 am
Although I have counted 14 different variations of the Super Smurf boxes (now 15, Fram just found another variation) it seems like they can be placed into 5 truly different styles.

The first one is the old Applause box. Applause was a division of Wallace Berrie & Co which as far as I know had the license to distribute smurfs in America.

Here are 2 pics showing the front and back panels of the APPLAUSE BOX

As far as I know there are no variations of the Applause style boxes

Image Image

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:03 am
The second version are the most recent ones which are sold in shops today known as the BLUE POLKADOT boxes.

These boxes are identical on the front and back panels of the box

I am not aware of any variations of this style yet

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:08 am
As for the rest...there seems to be many variations of what is basically the same style. These ones in the plank style with gold background and black writing have 3 variations that I know of.

The first one has the wording

SUPER SCHLUMPF SMURF!!

on one side and on the back it has the wording

SCHTROUMPFS A SCHTROUMPFS

Here are the pics of the front and back panels

Image Image

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:12 am
The next one in this style has the wording

SUPER SCHLUMPF!!

on one side followed by the same text as the box before on the other side

Image Image

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:22 am
This next one is exactly the same as the previously one except that where the panel with the wording:

SCHTROUMPFS A SCHTROUMPFS

They have added a sticker to cover that with the English text of

SUPER SMURF!!

Image Image

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:33 am
The last of this style has wording:

SUPER SMURF!!

on both sides but once again you have the side where the edges of the plank fits on the panel and on the other side the edges of the plank goes around the corners which is the same of all 4 styles in the Gold & Black Plank style.

Image Image

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:39 am
The 4th style is very similiar to the last type as they have the same look generally with the plank style on both panels as before but this time the printing of the wording is different. All of these ones are in English with the first one having the wording

SUPER SMURF

Image Image

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:42 am
The next one is exactly the same as the one before except whereas the last one was a glossy smooth type of cardboard....this one is more like a rougher, papery type.

Image Image

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:48 am
The next one is really a one off and has a couple of differences.

This variation was made only for the National Smurf promo.

It has the same plank style as before but has the wording:

NATIONAL SMURF

on one side and on the other side it shows you all of the pieces inside and a totally different type of wording that as far as I know is only seen with this promo smurf.

The other obvious difference is the size of the box. The average Super box is 8cm tall and 6cm wide. This promo box is 10cm tall and 7.5cm wide.

Here are the pics

Image Image

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:56 am
The 5th and final style is the Olympic super boxes. These all have the same style where the wording is displayed although you can find the wording different for each one.

The first one has the 5 Olympic Rings and the wording:

OLYMPIA SCHLUMPF

....on both panels. The only difference is that one side has a yellow border and the other side has a blue border

I believe there are 4 different variations in this style..although I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one more with different coloured Olympic Rings.

Image Image

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:03 am
The next one is the same as the last except for instead of the 5 Olympic Rings it has 5 different coloured flowers and the wording:

SCHTROUMPFIADE

Another slight difference is that in the previous one...the picture of the smurf was contained by a border at the bottom of the box whereas this one the picture goes over the bottom border lines right to the bottom of the box.

I am thinking that maybe the Flowers replaced the Olympic Rings when they no longer had the rights to display the Olympic symbol....perhaps they never did have the rights but either way there are many out there with the black texta crossing out the olympic rings so Schleich obviously had to cover them over at some stage for most likely one of those reasons.

Image Image

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:07 am
The next one in the Olympic style doesn't have Rings or Flowers...infact it only has the wording:

Ages 3 and up

Once again the picture totally takes over the bottom border but this time the end of the box actually cuts into the picture.

Image Image

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:12 am
Another exclusive version to an individual smurf is the box for Gargamel & Azrael.

GARGAMEL & AZRAEL THE VILLANS OF SMURF VILLAGE

There are 2 versions of this particular box with one stating "As Seen on TV" and another version which has "As Seen on NBC". However they are the same style as the other black print on the gold plank style background with one side having a smaller plank and the other side having a larger plank so that the edges goes around the sides.

Image Image[/img]

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:43 am
& the last one (for now) is:

SUPER SPORT SMURF

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:43 am
Can anyone think of any that I missed?

Postby Fram » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:39 am
I got one! I got one! (Well, from eBay...). If I have checked your list correctly, you don't have one that says 'Olympian Smurf' yet. So here it is. :twirl:
:sheep: Bored of normality, why not go smurf? :sheep:

Postby Raresmurf » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:31 pm
Good WORK!!!

This is so good for these forums!!!

Postby Rachel » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:32 pm
Excellent info Dyar, Thank You. :worship: :adore: :worship: :adore:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:43 pm
Thanks Fram...that's yet another one....will this ever end. I have placed a bid so hopefully I will be able to add this to the list here as well.

I should of known that you would find one though Fram....I am actually really glad that you did and if you find anymore please let me know.

Cheers

Dyar
Page 1 of 3

Login